Dan Smith, M.D., FACEP
Dan joined Huron | Studer Group in 2009. He serves as a senior coach, speaker and executive medical director for Huron | Studer Group, working in a variety of areas, including medical practices, inpatient and emergency departments. Dan has coached, mentored and lectured at over 200 organizations in the United States, Canada, the Philippines and Australia. He enjoys coaching and speaking on care experience, physician engagement and well-being, competencies of the contemporary physician leader, physician communication and physician performance feedback. Dan enjoys working in complex health systems, academic health centers and federal systems as well as group practices. He has trained over 10,000 physicians, advanced practice providers and residents worldwide. Huron | Studer Group has presented Dan with the Flame Award and six pillars of excellence.
Dan has practiced emergency medicine since 1998. In 2007, he became involved with patient experience when administration asked him to initiate and oversee a patient experience improvement program for emergency physicians of Baptist Health System. Dan developed a simple system of review, accountability, measurement and training. This work, along with coaching from Huron | Studer Group, initiated positive change and performance. From 2007 to 2012, his emergency medicine group quadrupled its overall satisfaction rank to the 80th percentile and maintained his personal patient experience scores at the 98th percentile rank for six years. Dan also contributes to healthcare-related thought leadership and has co-authored and authored white papers, peer-reviewed articles and Insights publications. He has created numerous assessment validation tools used by health systems to assess the competency of providers and trainees in the provider-patient construct as well as tools to appraise physician-hospital effectiveness. Dan has recorded numerous healthcare webinars and videos and enriched Huron | Studer Group’s Learning Lab with thought knowledge and provider training videos.
Dan completed medical school at Indiana University (IU) School of Medicine in 1995. He was awarded the Excellence in Emergency Medicine certificate by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine on behalf of IU School of Medicine. He then completed a residency in emergency medicine at William Beaumont Hospital, where he was chief resident and awarded Resident of the Year in 1998 from the department of emergency medicine. Dan directed patient experience for Emergency Physicians Affiliates from 2007-2015.
- Diplomate, American Board of Emergency Medicine (1999-present)
- Fellow, American College of Emergency Physicians and Texas College of Emergency Physicians
- Texas Medical Association
- Indiana State Medical Association
- Co-author: Advance your Emergency Department: Leading in a New Era. Fire Starter Publishing, October 16, 2012.
- “Physician Leadership & Resiliency.” Huron conferences.
- “Emergency Department Excellence.” Huron conferences.
- “Physician Engagement.” Huron | Studer Group engagement conference.
- Speaker, Huron | Studer Group What’s Right in Health Care® conference
- Speaker, American College of Emergency Physicians forums
- Speaker, Improving the Healthcare Experience Conference, Australia