Pamela Steenbergen, MBA
Pamela has over 13 years of healthcare experience with federal- and state- sponsored healthcare plans and medical policy development. She has spent most of her career in emergency medicine physician practice management, and she also has experience in surveillance, utilization review and prior authorization. Pamela understands transition of care from the emergency department to the inpatient setting and hasspent the last nine years focusing on improving efficiency and effectiveness in emergency departments in rural hospitals, large urban trauma centers and academic medical centers. Her dynamic style of coaching results in quality improvement, greater patient experience scores, enhanced flow efficiency and improved patient outcomes for the organizations with which she works. She enjoys making healthcare a better place for employees to work, physicians to practice medicine and patients to receive care.
Prior to joining Studer Group, Pamela was the national practice director of emergency department services for Sheridan Healthcorp. In this position, Pamela was responsible for the integration of new hospital contracts and ongoing operation of existing hospital contracts in coordination with divisional physician leadership. Prior to working at Sheridan Healthcorp, Pamela was the division client administrator for EmCare Inc., where she focused on emergency department flow optimization and reducing the percentage of patients that left without being seen to below national averages. Pamela also implemented several Studer Group initiatives such as leader rounding on staff, leader rounding on patients and care transition calls. .
- Skilled in managing premium labor costs and contracts with a combined gross margin of over $24 million
- Consistently increased EBITDA over budget
- Eliminated use of locums tenens physicians, resulting in expense savings of nearly $1.8 million
- Decreased percentage of patients that left without being seen from 8.5 percent to 1.1 percent
- Decreased length of stay for discharged patients by 20 percent
- Decreased length of stay for admitted patients by 15 percent
- Decreased door-to-provider times by 10 percent
Education and Certifications
- Master of Business, Administration Healthcare Management, American Intercontinental University
- Bachelor of Arts, DePauw University
- Member, American College of Healthcare Executives
- “Two Tactics to Elevate Patient Care and Frontline Staff Coaching,” 2016
- “Incorporating ‘Medical Minute’ Into Daily Huddles in the Emergency Department,” 2014