Richard Rubin, MD, MBA, CPHQ
Richard (Rich) is an experienced clinician and healthcare leader with 25 years of experience. His years as a primary care internal medicine clinician - having worked in various practice settings - have given him a broad base of experience in the joys and challenges in the practice of medicine. It's also provided insight into ways in which more satisfying and effective relationships are possible for both the clinician and patient. He is a multi-year recipient of " Best Doctors in America", a recognition of clinical excellence by his peers.
In his physician executive role, Rich worked extensively on quality and patient safety issues, which became his primary interest and passion. He is a true believer in the power of interdisciplinary cooperation to make change happen, and also believes that meaningful change and improvement cannot take place without collaboration, respect and appreciation for the difficult challenges of everyone's role. He has led such efforts, and spearheaded change in this way.
Having had direct experiences with health care delivery as a clinician, family member and patient, he has a deep appreciation for the ability of each of us to improve the experience of health care for employees, physicians and patients by making relatively small changes which have profound effects. Each of these stories has remained in his memory and guides his work.
- Organized and led a multidisciplinary team which improved core measures, in some cases from the 50th and 60th percentile range into the upper 90's.
- Oversaw the growth of a hospitalist program which expanded to cover approximately 90% of medical admissions.
- Represented the medical staff on the patient experience committee of the institution which had the highest HCHAPS scores of multiple hospitals in the area.
- Led and facilitated a group of clinicians which authored order sets to be used in a large national health system
- Led and effort which resulted in significant reductions in central line associated blood stream infections, ventilator associated pneumonia, and post abdominal surgical wound infections.
- Instituted the first rapid response team among institutions in his region.
- Medical Director, Physician Enterprise - St. Peter's Health Partners, Albany, NY
- Chief Medical Officer - Seton Health (A member of the Ascension System),Troy, NY
- Internal medicine practice inhospital employed, partnership and solo setttings
- Cohort Leader/Group Facilitator-Certified Physician Executive Program, American College of Physician Executives
- Board Certified in Internal Medicine
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ)-National Association for Healthcare Quality
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- Fellow and Certified Physician Executive-American College of Physician Executives
- Internal Medicine Residency, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
- Doctor of Medicine, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
- Master of Business Administration, Concentration in Health Care Management, Boston University, Boston, MA
- Bachelor of Arts, Organizational Behavior, University of Rochester, , Rochester, NY